Proposal

Throughout this assignment I plan on speaking about and teaching the knowledge I know and all of the information I will learn about the evolution of the baseball bat to teach the readers of this blog.  It was invented in the mid 1800s and is still evolving today.  There are many different brands of bats and they come in all different styles and sizes, both of which depend on the individual planning to use the bat.  One amazing piece of information I learned was that Baseball Legend Babe Ruth used a bat that was 62 ounces.

Baseball today has evolved into a lighter and stronger bat.  There are bats made of maple and ash just to name a couple.  Maple is a more firm piece of wood but is more susceptible to break due to the thinner handle and weight of the maple piece used to make the bat.  Although maple is more susceptible to break, it has a significantly more amount of power coming off the bat due to the firmer material, this makes the maple more expensive to buy.  Another type of wood is composite.  A composite wood bat is nearly indestructible.  Personally, I have had one for over 3 years and it has not broken or cracked.  It is used primarily for batting practice, but some summer leagues allow them in games.

In college baseball there have been significant changes to the regulations of the aluminum baseball bat due to injuries.  Today’s aluminum bat has less power coming off the bat by the decrease in gases into the bat, this is equivalent to a composite wood bat.  Significantly less pop coming off the bat as compared to the previous models that have caused serious injury to pitchers.  One high school pitcher was killed by a line drive a couple years ago.

Throughout my entire life there has always been one constant in my life and it has been baseball.  I fell in love with the game at a very early age and I have always been interested in the history of the game.  I have been to the hall of fame numerous times and have seen the equipment that players used in the early 1900s.  This shows that with time that the game has changed along with the resources that are available to players off the field as well, but that is another story.

I hope to teach the readers about one of the most important pieces of equipment in the game of baseball.  I love this game, I play here for Mary Washington and I want to teach everyone as much as I can about the greatest game ever invented.  You can see all the information I have posted so far along with my bibliography that I posted.  I found those articles and books off of the National Baseball Hall of Fame website.  I hope to persuade the readers of this blog to love the game of baseball as much as I do.